A rich mixture of aromatic spices, a tangy tomato-based gravy, and the earthy deliciousness of mushrooms come together to create the delicious and tasty meal known as mushroom masala. This classic vegetarian dish from Indian cuisine has the ideal harmony of textures and a burst of flavours to tempt your palate. This recipe for mushroom masala is certain to impress both vegetarians and non-vegetarians, whether you are an experienced mushroom lover or just looking to try something new.
About This Mushroom Masala
What’s up guys you are Welcome to my new blog, You can make a lot of dishes with Mushroom, & from that one of my favourite recipe is Mushroom Masala. which gives restaurant vibes but is prepared homestyle. by roasting onions, tomatoes, garlic & ginger, & then to make it rich, I don’t use cream or butter but I add cashew paste.
This is my secret ingredient for this gravy & it results in a rich gravy. along with it mushroom & if you want you can add peas to it & make Mushroom Matar Masala. It’s a very simple & easy recipe & turns out really delicious.
Let’s learn how to make Mushroom Masala.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 25-30 minutes Serves: 4-5 people
Ingredients For Mushroom Masala
- OIL 2 TBSP
- GHEE 2 TBSP
- CUMIN SEEDS 1 TSP
- GREEN CARDAMOM | 3-4 NOS.
- CINNAMON 1 INCH
- ONION 4 NOS. (CHOPPED)
- GINGER GARLIC CHILLI PASTE 3 TBSP
- POWDERED SPICES
- TURMERIC POWDER 1 TSP
- KASHMIRI RED CHILLI POWDER 1 TBSP
- SPICY RED CHILLI POWDER 1 TSP
- CORIANDER POWDER 1 TBSP
- HOT WATER AS REQUIRED
- TOMATO 4 NOS. (CHOPPED)
- SALT TO TASTE
- CURD ½ CUP
- CASHEW PASTE OF 18-20 NOS.
- MUSHROOM 400 GRAMS
- ROASTED KASURI METHI POWDER A PINCH
- GARAM MASALAA PINCH
- FRESH CORIANDER A HANDFUL (CHOPPED)
How To Make Mushroom Masala
1. We will take a handi, In a handi, add 1 tbsp oil & 1 tbsp desi ghee. Once the oil & ghee are hot,
then to this add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 2-3 green cardamom, 1/2 inch cinnamon stick, & add 4 chopped onions.
Sauté Onion Paste
2. Now, sauté these onions while stirring on medium flame until they turn golden brown in colour. This process can take about 7-8 minutes, so sauté the onions nicely.
3. Once you have sautéed the onions nicely, then to this add ginger, garlic & chilli paste, Now, you have to sauté the ginger & garlic nicely as well. By this process the onions will further cook
& become slightly even more darker in colour.
Making Mushroom Masala
4. Sauté it for 2-3 minutes nicely here. Once you have sautéed the ginger & garlic, then lower the flame & we have to add some spices to it.
5. Now add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder, 1 tbsp spicy red chilli powder, & 1 tbsp coriander powder. Add the basic spices here.
6. Now Add a splash of water so that the spices don’t burn & we can cook the spices nicely. While stirring nicely, cook the spices on low flame for 1-2 minutes.
Sauté Tomato Paste
7. Once you have cooked the spices, then to this add 3 chopped tomatoes, & add salt to taste so that the tomatoes soften nicely & quickly.
8. And Stir it nicely & here I’m covering it with a lid, & turning the flame on medium low. so that the tomatoes soften sooner. By covering with the lid, the developing steam helps tomatoes cook faster.
9. You can keep checking in between if you’d like & stir in middle. If you feel the need to add some water, then you can add some water as well.
10. Cook the tomatoes nicely until they are soft & the oil & ghee separates from the masala. It’s been about 7-8 minutes. Let’s check it.
You Can Also Read This Recipe
11. Now the tomatoes have nicely softened & have assimilated with the masala. & oil & fat has separated.
12. At this stage, lower the flame,
13. Now, take 1/2 cup of curd. Whisk it well. There should be no lumps in the curd. Add the curd. Continuously stir for about 1 minute so that the curd assimilates with the masala nicely.
14. If you add the curd on low flame & keep stirring continuously then it will not split. Once you have stirred the curd for 1 minute, then make the flame high again, & cook the curd nicely for 3-4 minutes, Until the curd is completely cooked & looses it’s rawness.
15. In between if the masala becomes dry then you can add some hot water, to further cook it. It’s been 3-4 minutes, you will see that the curd is nicely cooked & ghee & oil has separated.
16. At this stage, I’m going to add the cashew paste to it. Here, I had soaked 15-18 cashews, in hot water & ground it to a paste. So I’m adding that. This gives a really rich taste & consistency to the gravy. So, you can use this.
17. Now Stir properly. Here, instead of cashew paste, you can even add cashew powder as well. It also gives a distinct texture to the gravy. & you will get an amazing & rich gravy.
18. Now, stir well & cook the gravy for 2-3 more minutes. Our gravy is almost ready.
19. Now Here, I’ve taken 400 grams of mushroom. I’ve washed them & dried them. Add them. & add some salt to taste. Now, mix the mushroom nicely with the gravy.
20. Once you have nicely stirred it then cover it with a lid, and cook it on medium low flame for 8-10 minutes. If you want you can stir in between.
21. What will happen here is that the mushroom will get cooked nicely & release some water into the gravy, the taste of gravy will seep into the mushrooms, Within 7-8 minutes, a perfect Mushroom Masala will be ready.
22. After 7-8 minutes, remove the lid & check. You will see that the mushrooms have released
some water so the consistency of the gravy is perfect, there is no need to add any more water.
23. At this stage, taste & adjust the seasoning if you feel it needs some more salt. in the end, add a pinch of roasted dried fenugreek leaves powder, 1 pinch homemade garam masala, & add some freshly chopped coriander leaves to this.
24. You have to nicely stir everything together. You will see how amazing this Mushroom Masala is looking. & our Mushroom Masala is ready.
25. Let’s plate it and serve this hot Mushroom Masala Recipe.
So Try this easy recipe of Mushroom Masala at your home, & along with it make Tandoori Roti or
Laccha paratha, you will enjoy it a lot.
So Definitely try this recipe at your home & tell me in the comments how did you like this recipe. Share this Mushroom Masala with your friends & family. And Hit the subscribe button if you’ve liked this recipe.
Have an amazing time with this amazing Mushroom Masala recipe at your home. Cheers!
FAQs for Mushroom Curry
Q: Can I use any type of mushrooms for this recipe?
Yes, you may choose any type of mushroom. In this dish, portobello, cremini, or button mushrooms all work well. Pick firm, fresh mushrooms that don’t show any indications of rotting.
Q: Can I make this recipe vegan?
Absolutely! Simply replace the ghee (clarified butter) in the mushroom masala recipe with a vegan-acceptable oil, such as coconut oil or vegetable oil. The remaining ingredients are unchanged.
Q: How spicy is this dish?
Your preferred level of spice can be changed. Red chilli powder and green chilies are used in the recipe to give the food some spiciness. Depending on your desire, you can alter the ratio of green chilies to chilli powder.
Q: Can I make mushroom masala ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the mushroom masala in advance and store it in the fridge. When a dish is given some time to settle, the flavours usually deepen and develop. Reheat the masala slowly and incorporate the mushrooms when it’s time to serve.
Q: What can I serve with mushroom masala?
Indian breads like naan, roti, and paratha go nicely with mushroom masala. Additionally, it complements pulao, jeera rice, or steamed rice with flavour. To finish the meal, serve raita, a yogurt-based sauce, or a green salad.
Q: Can I freeze mushroom masala?
Although mushroom masala can be frozen, the texture of the mushrooms may alter slightly after thawing. For the finest flavour and texture, it is suggested that you eat the food right away. Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two to three days.
Q: Can I customize the spices in this recipe?
Absolutely! In cooking, taste preferences are everything. You are welcome to change the amount of spice and add or remove any spices to suit your tastes. Trying out various spices can provide distinctive flavour profiles.
Q: Is mushroom masala a healthy dish?
When prepared with little oil and eaten with whole wheat bread or rice, mushroom masala can be a nutritious option. Mushrooms are high in nutrients like vitamin D and potassium while being low in calories and fat. However, depending on the ingredients and cooking technique, the dish’s overall nutritional content can change.