In the well-known Indian dish kali mirch chicken tikka, bite-sized chunks of marinated chicken are skewered and cooked to perfection. Black pepper, another essential component of the marinade, is referred to as “kali mirch” along with other spices including cumin, coriander, and turmeric. For several hours, the chicken is traditionally marinated in a mixture of yoghurt, herbs, and lemon juice to help tenderise the meat and provide flavour. After marinating, the chicken is skewered and grilled over charcoal or gas until the outside is blackened and the inside is thoroughly done. You can have kali mirch chicken tikka as a snack or an appetiser on its own or as a main course with rice, naan bread, or other Indian side dishes.
Prep time: 15-20 mins Cooking time: 15-20 mins (excluding marination time) Serves: 3-4 people
Ingredients for Kali mirch chicken tikka
- First marination
- CHICKEN 500 GRAMS (BREAST)
- SALT TO TASTE
- LEMON JUICE 2 TSP
- GINGER GARLIC PASTE 2 TBSP
- Second marination
- CASHEW 20-25 NOS. (SOAKED IN HOT WATER)
- FRESH CREAM 5 TBSP
- GREEN CHILLI 1 NO.
- CORIANDER POWDER 1.5 TSP
- CUMIN POWDER 1 TSP
- GARAM MASALA A PINCH
- BLACK SALT A PINCH
- ROASTED KASURI METHI POWDER A PINCH
- CARDAMOM POWDER A PINCH
- HUNG CURD 1 CUP
- BLACK PEPPERCORNS 2 TBSP (COARSELY CRUSHED)
- CORN FLOUR 1.5 TSP
- LIVE CHARCOAL
- GHEE as Required
- Cooking on pan
- GHEE 2 TBSP
- BUTTER (MELTED) AS REQUIRED
- Cooking in oven
- BUTTER AS REQUIRED (MELTED)
How To make kali mirch chicken tikka
What’s up guys you are Welcome to my blog Today I’m making Kali Mirch Chicken Tikka. This recipe is very popularly ordered at restaurants & dhabas. & it’s also one my my personal favourite Tikka recipe. Now, whenever tikkas or kebabs are made in restaurants & dhabas, then they are cooked in tandoor or sigri.
& that’s why it’s texture & flavour is very different as compared to when you make it at home on a tawa. But I’m going to tell you today, how to get the same flavour & texture with some tips, on the tawa at home. & this recipe will give really juicy & succulent, & perfect Kali Mirch chicken Tikkas.
Along with that I’m also going to tell you how to make these kali mirch chicken Tikkas in the oven.
First of all let’s learn how to cut which is very important & prepare the chicken.
1. Here, I’ve taken 500 grams of boneless chicken breast. Now, we have to cut them into thin slices
Slice the chicken diagonally like this. & you will get slices The slices shouldn’t be too thick or thin.
They should be medium sized slices. To get a juicy & succulent kebab, the cutting is very important.Similarly continue to slice the chicken diagonally, to prepare these kind of chicken slices. Once you have prepared such chicken slices, ransfer them to a bowl.
2. Now, today, I’ve used chicken breast. Now, in hotels, restaurants or dhabas to make kebabs or tikkas, chicken thigh is used. Chicken breast is used only for Malai Tikka. Now, the reason why I’ve used chicken breast here is that chicken thigh will take a long time to cook on the skillet. & due to cooking on the tawa, they become slightly tougher.
3. They become soft in tandoor heat, but on the skillet the thigh doesn’t turn out very soft. That’s why for faster cooking & to get succulent kebabs, so I’m using chicken breast. If using an oven, then you can use chicken thigh, just the cooking time will be a bit more. So, if you are making the same recipe in oven, you can use chicken thigh, but even with breast you get beautiful results. so there’s no harm in continuing the same recipe.
4. Now, we have to give this 2 marinations. Initially we’ll do the first marination & then second marination. 1st is a simple marination. Let’s learn how to do that.
5. Add salt to taste to sliced chicken, 2 tsp lemon juice, & add 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste. & mix the chicken well to let the salt & ginger-garlic paste coat the chicken nicely. After mixing everything, you have to let the chicken marinate for 15-20 minutes. If using chicken thigh, then increase the duration to 4-5 hours for better results. While the chicken is resting in the first marinade,
6. let’s prepare the second marination. For the 2nd marination, I had soaked 18-20 cashews in hot water, add them to a mixer grinder. & add 4 tbsp fresh cream, 1 green chilli, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, a pinch of cumin powder, a pinch of black salt, 1 pinch of roasted dried fenugreek leaves powdered, & 1 pinch of cardamom powder.
7. Add everything to make a fine paste. Try not to add any additional water. While grinding, if you feel the need, you can add some more cream. so I’ve prepared a fine paste out of this. Now, in a big plate, I’m using 3/4th cup hung curd,
Now, let me explain what is hung curd, if you don’t know what it is. If you already know what it is, you can skip this part & continue with the recipe. You have to take a muslin cloth & add curd in that cloth, then lightly squeeze it out to remove the water from it. Then you can let it hang in a sieve or over the sink, for about 1/2-1 hour. So that the water from the curd will keep dripping out & your curd will become thick. Doing so is helpful, as when you add this curd to the marination, it helps the marinade stick to the chicken nicely.
8. This is very important, whenever you are using curd in any marination, try to use thick hung curd. For 3/4th cup hung curd, you may need to use double the quantity of curd. Almost half of it is water. Once your hung curd is prepared, you can measure 3/4th cup & add to the marination. A bit here & there should be okay. This is how you have to use hung curd.
9. Now let’s learn the rest of the process. Now Add the paste that we prepared earlier with the hung curd. Along with it, I’ve freshly crushed 1.5 tbsp of black pepper coarsely & added. This step is very important. & I’m adding 1 tbsp cornflour for binding. Even this is an important ingredient.
10. Mix & mash everything nicely using your hands, so that there are no grainy particles in the curd & it becomes smooth. Even the black pepper that you are adding, take peppercorns & grind them coarse, freshly. This is very important too. Otherwise there won’t be the fun of black pepper in Kali Mirch chicken Tikka. Keep in mind these important points. So I’ve nicely mixed the marination.
11. Now Add the chicken in this marination. After adding the chicken to the marinade, nicely mix & massage the chicken to coat it properly with the marinade. Once you have applied the marinade on the chicken, make a well in between, Then add burning coal on it & add some ghee on the coal, & cover it with a lid & let it rest for 3-4 minutes. This will give that smoky flavour to our chicken tikka so that it will give the effect as though it’s made on Sigri or Tandoor. Lift the lid after 3-4 minutes, Discard the coal carefully as well. & now the marination for our chicken is done.
12. Now, we have to cook it. Once your chicken is marinated, then we can cook it. Actually you don’t really need to rest it in the marinade for long as we had rested it well in the first marination. If you are planning to make this tikka after 5-6 hours, then keep it in the refrigerator. If you are planning to make it more than 5-6 hours later, then you need to keep it in the freezer. & coz it will get frozen in the deep freezer, before cooking it let it thaw in refrigerator for 3-4 hours. So that the ice will melt & the chicken marination will not start sweating or become loose. So, I’m giving you this tip.
Once your chicken is marinated, then we have to cook it. Now I’m going to tell how to cook the chicken. There are 2 ways of cooking it. First of all, let’s learn how to cook it on a skillet. Here, I’ve taken bamboo skewers. You can easily find them in the market. Pick up the piece of chicken
& pass the skewer in the centre of the chicken piece. Whenever you are skewering the chicken, try to fold the chicken pieces slightly. So that it sticks to the skewers. So keep that in mind. Similarly, add 3-4 pieces or as much as can fit in your skewer.
13. Once you have skewered the chicken, now we have to cook it. Take a pan. It can be any pan like non-stick or regular pan. I’m using my regular carbon steel pan. Heat it up properly. Once the pan is sizzling hot. It’s important that the pan is hot. then add 1 tbsp ghee to it. After adding the ghee, add the skewered chicken on it .
14. Now, you have to cook this chicken on a medium high or high flame. The chicken will take about 3-4 minutes max to cook from one side. Cook the chicken on medium high flame. Once your chicken is cooked from one side, then turn it over. Turn it & cook it in the same way. Here, we are cooking the chicken on high heat in a hot pan,
15. This process will lock the juices of the chicken inside & keep the chicken soft & succulent. That’s why your pan should be hot & the flame should be medium high. Keep in mind. Once your chicken is cooked from both sides,
you will see that your chicken will look something like this.
16. Now we have cooked the chicken & can consume it as is. But if you want that tandoor effect & it should also looked charred as it would be in a tandoor, You need to do one more step.
I’ll tell you that step now, Its a simple thing.
17. Apply some melted butter on the chicken. Then place these chicken skewers on direct flame & keep turning it slowly to give it that charred effect. & you’ll see that it will start looking as charred as the tikka from the tandoor looks like. Once the tikka gets charred marks , they look like they are straight out of tandoor & our Kali Mirch chicken Tikka are ready.
Did you learn you can make perfect Chicken Tikka even on a skillet, with some tips that I gave you. That your pan should be sizzling hot. Don’t make Tikkas in a cold pan. & cooking on open flame will help you get those marks & texture to replicate the Tikka from the tandoor. Follow all the tips & your tikkas will turn our perfect.
18. Now, next we need to learn how are these Tikkas made in an oven. So lets see the Oven method. To make the Tikkas in an oven, I’ve taken these metal skewers. If you want, you can use bamboo skewers too. Skewer the chicken like before on the skewer. Once your skewers are ready, take a baking tray or any oven-proof glass tray will do as well.
19. Balance the skewers on the edges, so that the tikkas don’t touch the bottom. It is very important that the skewers don’t touch the bottom surface of the tray. Once this set-up is ready, then place it in an oven, Your oven should be preheated at 200 degree Celsius. This is important, coz if you add them in a cold oven, then your tikkas will dry out while your oven is coming to temperature.
20. Cook it in a preheated oven 200 degrees Celsius for 10-12 minutes. Once it’s 10-12 minutes or your tikkas get slightly brown, then you can check them. At that stage you have to remove the tikkas from the oven, After taking it out, apply some melted butter on top, this process is called Basting.
21. After applying the butter, place it in the oven again to further deepen in colour & get some texture from outside. & then take them out. & you can see that our Kali Mirch Chicken Tikka by Oven method are ready.
Let’s plate it and serve it
Wow! How tasty are our Tikkas. & that flavour of the coarsely ground black pepper & it’s taste in the tikkas is mind-blowing to eat. & perfect texture, perfect flavour. Our chicken tikkas have turned out so juicy. & with it I had served restaurant style green chutney with curd. I’ve already made it.
So Definitely try this recipe be it on a skillet or in an oven. & tell me in the comments, how did you like this recipe. and Share this recipe with your friends & family.
Hit the subscribe button if you’ve liked this recipe. Have an amazing time with this beautiful
Kali Mirch Chicken Tikka at your home. Cheers!
Q. What is Kali mirch chicken tikka?
The well-known Indian dish kali mirch chicken tikka is constructed with bite-sized chunks of marinated chicken that are skewered and cooked to perfection. Black pepper, a vital component of the marinade, is referred to as “kali mirch” in this sentence.
Q. What ingredients are used in the marinade for Kali mirch chicken tikka?
Black pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric, lemon juice, salt, yoghurt, and Kali mirch are typical ingredients in the marinade for chicken tikka.
Q. How long should the chicken tikka marinated for?
For optimal results, marinate the chicken for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
Q. Can Kali mirch chicken tikka be cooked in an oven?
The answer is that Kali mirch chicken tikka can also be baked. Bake the chicken on a baking sheet or wire rack for 20 to 25 minutes, turning it once halfway through, in an oven preheated to 450°F (232°C).
Q. How can I prevent the chicken from drying out on the grill?
Make sure to marinade the chicken for a sufficient amount of time and spray it with oil or butter before grilling to avoid it drying out on the grill. Additionally, try to avoid overcooking the chicken because this might make it tough and dry.
Q. What can I serve with Kali mirch chicken tikka?
With rice, naan bread, or other Indian side dishes like raita (yoghurt sauce), chutney, or roasted vegetables, kali mirch chicken tikka can be served.
Q. Is Kali mirch chicken tikka spicy?
Depending on the amount of black pepper and other spices used in the marinade, kali mirch chicken tikka can be mildly spicy. However, you can change the quantity of spiciness to your preferred level by adding more or less black pepper or other chilli peppers.