India’s classic and well-liked Rajasthani cuisine is called Gatte ki Sabzi. It is a vegetarian dish made with “gatte,” or gram flour (besan) dumplings, stewed in a hot, sour yoghurt gravy. The meal is a favourite among both locals and culinary fans nationwide because of its distinctive flavour and rich flavours. The gatte, which are soft, chewy dumplings cooked with besan (gram flour), spices, and a tiny bit of oil or ghee, are the major attraction of Gatte ki Sabzi. The flavours of the spices and yoghurt are imparted to the dumplings by boiling or steaming them before adding them to the decadent gravy.
Gatte Ki Sabzi
What’s up guys you are Welcome to my new blog. Today I’m making Rajasthani Gatte ki Sabzi. This Gatte ki Sabzi is a very popular, famous recipe from Rajasthan. & this recipe is very easy.
It is made by mixing curd & gram flour.
Now when you go to Dhabas then in this recipe onions & garlic is used. The people who don’t eat onions & garlic, in their homes, it is used by using curd & dry spices. & people who eat onions & garlic or at Dhabas, onions, garlic, tomatoes are used to make a rich gravy. & gatte are added to it to make this curry.
While making Gatte when a lot of people try to make them, they either are hard or crumble while cooking So, I’m going to tell you how to avoid those things & get soft gatte in this recipe. & this will be a beautiful delicious Gatte ki Sabzi.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes Cooking time: 30-35 minutes Serves:4-5 people
Ingredients For Gatte Ki Sabzi
- Gatte WATER AS REQUIRED (FOR BOILING GATTE)
- CORIANDER SEEDS 1 TSP
- CUMIN SEEDS 1 TSP
- FENNEL SEEDS 1 TSP
- GRAM FLOUR 1.5 CUPS
- SALT TO TASTE
- ASAFOETIDA A PINCH
- CAROM SEEDS 1/2 TSP (CRUSHED)
- TURMERIC POWDER 1/2 TSP
- KASHMIRI RED CHILLI POWDER 1/2 TSP
- KASURI METHI 1/2 TSP (CRUSHED)
- GHEE 2 TSP
- OIL 1 TSP
- WATER AS REQUIRED
- OIL AS REQUIRED
- GHEE 2 TBSP
- GARLIC 2 TBSP (CHOPPED)
- GINGER 1 TBSP (CHOPPED)
- GREEN CHILLI 2 NOS. (CHOPPED)
- ONION 2 MEDIUM SIZED. (CHOPPED)
- ASAFOETIDA 1/4 TSP
- RED CHILLI 2 NOS.
- TURMERIC POWDER 1/2 TSP
- KASHMIRI RED CHILLI POWDER 1 TSP
- HOT WATER
- A SPLASH TOMATO 1 NO. (PUREE)
- SALT TO TASTE
- CURD 1 CUP
- POWDERED SPICES
- TURMERIC POWDER 1/4 TSP
- KASHMIRI RED CHILLI POWDER 2 TSP
- SPICY RED CHILLI POWDER 1 TSP
- CORIANDER POWDER 2 TSP
- GARAM MASALA 1/2 TSP
- CUMIN POWDER 1/2 TSP
- KASURI METHI 1 TSP (CRUSH)
- FRESH CORIANDER A HANDFUL (CHOPPED)
How To Make Gatte Ki Sabzi
First of all, let’s learn how to make Gatte in a proper way for this recipe.
Prepration For making Gatte Ki Sabji
1. Firstly, I’m keeping some water to boil, as while we knead the dough, shape the gatte & cook them, we’ll save time. Once you have kept the water to boil, then we have to grind some spices.
2. So, in a mortar-pestle, take 1 tsp whole coriander seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, & add 1 tsp fennel seeds. After adding the fennel seeds, you have to coarsely grind it, don’t grind it into a fine powder. We will use half of this spice mix in dough for Gatte and half into the gravy. You will see it’s texture. So grind the spices similarly.
Making Dough For Gatte Ki sabzi
3. Now, to make the dough for Gatte, sift 1.5 cups gram flour in a big bowl to avoid any lumps in our gram flour. So I’ve sifted gram flour nicely. Now add salt to taste, a pinch of asafoetida, add 1/2 tsp carom seeds after crushing them between your palms .
4. Add half quantity of the spices that we had ground earlier. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder, & crush 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves after crushing them in your palms.
5. Now, mix all the dry ingredients nicely with your hands. Once you have mixed the dry ingredients nicely, then add 2 tsp ghee in it, & add 1 tsp of oil. This will basically act as shortening & keep the Gatte soft from within.
6. Now, I’m adding 2 tbsp curd here. The curd will make the Gatte soft too. Mix everything nicely now. Once you have mixed all the ingredients well, then slowly you have to add water to knead a dough. Knead a soft & sticky dough. So slowly keep adding water & prepare a soft dough.
Keep in mind that the water needed for this dough is very minimal as we have added curd, ghee & oil too. So add water carefully. Now our dough has come together & a soft dough is ready.
7. Now I;m transferring the dough to a platform. Then take some oil on your hands to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands. & now knead this dough nicely for 4-5 minutes. Kneading will make the dough tensile & also very soft. & as a result the Gatte will also be very soft. So knead it properly.
8. After 4-5 minutes, you will see that the surface of dough has become smooth. This is how your dough should be. Now Our dough is ready. now I’m dividing the dough in 3 parts to shape the Gatte. Once divided, you have to shape the dough like this into a long cylinder.
Shape The Dough
9. Roll it similar to a sheekh kabab is made to form a Gatta. Now Shape the rest of the dough similarly too. I’ve prepared 3 cylinders like this They will further expand on boiling, so I’m dividing it from the centre so that they are easy to boil.
Boil The Gatta
10. So, I’ve divided them in the centre. Now, to boil them, the water should be boiling properly. The water that we had earlier boiled is ready now. So Carefully add the Gatte one by one in the boiling water. Once added you have to boil them for 12-15 minutes by the clock.
11. The Gatte will expand & they will get small bubbles on their surface, you will see in some time. That is the stage when our Gatte will be cooked. So, cook them for 12-15 minutes, without stirring them too much.
12. It’s 12-15 minutes, you can see how they Gatte have expanded & there are bubbles on their surface. & they are floating on the surface of water, which means our Gatte are nicely cooked. Now Carefully take them out & transfer them to another sieve or plate. After transferring them, you have to cool them down to room temperature before cutting them.
13. Don’t discard the water that we used to boil the Gatte in, We will use the same water whenever we need to add water to the gravy as they have the flavour of Gatte too. & it also has traces of gram flour, which will give thickness to the gravy. So cool down the Gatte. Once cooled down,
transfer them to a chopping board & slice them.
Cut Gatte For Sabzi
14. Don’t slice them too thick. You can slice them about 1 cm or slightly lesser than that. so you can cut all the Gatte similarly. So I’ve cut all the Gatte, Our Gatte are cooked from inside, very soft & they are ready.
15. Our Gatte are ready. I’ve given you a lot of tips, to make perfect Gatte. they are nicely cooked & very soft. So, similarly follow all the tips & your Gatte will turn perfect each time.
16. Now, you can add the Gatte in the gravy directly at this stage, to make Gatte ki Sabzi. In a lot of households, they are not fried further. & in a lot of households, they maybe shallow fried or deep fried. By deep frying, the Gatte loose their moisture, & then you can store them. & then whenever you want to make then add the fried Gatte in the gravy,
17. They will again soak the moisture & then soften & become perfect Gatte. I usually fry it as frying makes the texture a little bit better. If you want to avoid frying then you can add the Gatte directly at this stage, that’s not a problem.
18. Next process is that we will fry the Gatte. After frying we will see the process of making the gravy. To fry the Gatte, I’ve heated the oil. Your oil should be moderately hot. Now, gradually add the Gatte in the oil. After adding, fry them on medium flame until golden brown.
19. Like I mentioned before, you can also shallow fry them instead of deep frying if you want. Now, I’m frying the Gatte until they turn light golden brown. Our Gatte are light golden brown in colour. Strain them & take them out of the oil. Transfer them into a sieve, so that the excess oil drips off.
Make Gravy For Gatte Ki sabzi
20. To make the gravy, add 2 tbsp desi ghee in a cooking pot. Once the ghee is hot, then add the rest of the spices that we had ground. 2 tbsp chopped garlic, 1 tbsp chopped ginger, & add 2 green chillies chopped & sauté the ginger garlic & chillies for 1 minute. Once you have sautéed the ginger, garlic & chillies, then add 2 medium sized chopped onions to this. along with it, 1/4th tsp asafoetida, & break 2 dried chillies & add
21. Now, sauté the onions until they turn golden brown in colour. It may take about 6-7 minutes. Saute the onions on medium flame while stirring. So I’ve nicely sautéed the onions, Now, to that add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, & add 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder & stir well.
22. Now, I’m adding some hot water to this, to prevent the spices from burning. Cook the onions & spices for 2-3 minutes more after adding the water. Once you have cooked the spices, then I’m adding a puree of 1 tomato to this. & add salt to taste. You have to nicely cook the tomatoes for 3-4 minutes. For the tomato puree, I’ve just blended 1 tomato in the mixie without boiling or blanching it. Cook the tomatoes for 3-4 minutes.
23. While the tomatoes are cooking on the side, we have to make a curd mixture, so let’s do that. Add 1 cup curd into a bowl, Along with it 1/4th tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder, 1 tsp spicy red chilli powder, 2 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala, & add 1/2 tsp cumin powder.
24. Now, nicely whisk the curd & spices together. There should be no lumps in the curd & your curd should be really smooth. So I’ve whisked the curd with the spices.
25. Now Let’s check our gravy. Our tomatoes are cooked, ghee is separated, meaning that our masala is cooked. At this stage, lower the flame & add the curd mixture to this. After adding the curd mixture, you have to stir continuously for 1 minute. Stir well. Once you have stirred for a minute, then make the flame high & cook the curd with the masala.
26. Here, I’m covering the lid & reducing the flame to medium low. Cook the curd properly for 12-15 minutes. The rawness of the curd should completely go away. Even the acidity of the curd will slightly reduce due to cooking it out. Cook this mixture nicely for 12-15 minutes. In between you can remove the lid & stir it a little bit to avoid the gravy from sticking to the bottom. Cook this gravy nicely for 12-15 minutes now. It’s been about 15 minutes. Let’s check our gravy.
27. Now our masala is cooked & the oil has separated & it is properly cooked. This means that our masala is nicely cooked. Right now the consistency of the masala is quite thick, so we need to adjust it’s consistency.
Make Gatte Ki Sabji
28. Now Add the cooking water for gatte which we had reserved earlier. Add 4-5 ladlefuls of this water. Add water & stir nicely. At this stage we will keep the consistency of gravy quite thin. As when we add the gatte to this, they will soak up a lot of liquid & our gravy will thicken up then.
29. So Prepare a water gravy & bring this gravy to a boil before adding the gatte. Our gravy is boiling, at this stage, add the fried gatte in this gravy. Stir it nicely. After adding the gatte you have to cook them on medium flame for 7-8 minutes in the gravy. During this process, our gravy will thicken nicely & our gatte will soak up the masala liquid nicely, & our perfect Gatte ki Sabzi will be ready.
30. It’s been 7-8 minutes, you can see that the consistency of the gravy is perfect. Now our Gatte haven’t broken or crumbled. Our perfect Gatte ki Sabzi is ready. The ghee has also nicely separated & is floating on the top. Let me break one gatta & show it to you. You can see that they are soft from within & have cooked perfectly. At this stage, I’ll just taste it & adjust the salt. Add more salt if required.
31. Along with it, add 1 tsp of crushed kasuri methi to it as well. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves & stir well You can see that our Gatte ki Sabzi is ready.
Serve Gatte Ki Sabzi
32. Let’s plate it Our Gatte ki Sabzi has turned out very delicious. & definitely make it like this at your home.
In the beginning I had told you, how to make this curry without onion & garlic. So, what you have to do is make the Gatte in the same manner. The curd spice mix that we made, will also be made similarly, & the process before that where we sautéed the onions, garlic & tomatoes, you can avoid that step. So, just add these spices in ghee, & then make this curd mixture & add it.
If you want you can increase the curd mixture 1.5-2 folds. So that your gravy will be enough & the quantity of gatte will be the same. & then similarly, cook the gravy for 15-20 minutes, adjust the consistency, add the gatte & cook them. & your Gatte ki sabzi will be ready without onions & garlic. That also is really delicious.
If you want me to make that recipe, tell me in the comments below. I will shot & post that recipe too very soon. Eat this recipe with roti, tandoori roti, bajra roti, or rice. It goes really well with them all.
So Definitely try this recipe at your home & tell me in the comments how did you like this recipe. Share this recipe with your friends & family.
Hit the subscribe button if you’ve liked this recipe..
Have an amazing time with this beautiful recipe at your home. Cheers!