With soft bits of mutton cooked in a flavorful stew of spices, onions, tomatoes, and yoghurt, Mutton Rogan Josh is a well-known Kashmiri dish. The inclusion of Kashmiri red chilli powder, which is renowned for its rich red colour and mild heat, gives the meal its recognisable red colour. Cumin, coriander, fennel, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon are some of the other important spices included in the recipe. Due to its rich and complex flavours, mutton rogan josh is a favourite among meat lovers and is typically served with rice or naan.
Mutton Rogan Josh
What’s up guys you are Welcome to my blog Today, I’m making one of the most requested recipes. Today, I’m making Mutton Rogan Josh. Now Mutton Rogan Josh is of two kinds. One is Kashmiri Pandit style and the other is Kashmiri Muslim style. So, today, the version that I’m making is Pandit style.
People have created this aura of Rogan Josh being a very laborious dish, But the actual fact is that this is one of the simplest mutton recipes and doesn’t take a lot of effort. There’s no onions to chop, no garlic goes into this recipe. It is a very simple & wholesome recipe. and turns out beautifully.
To give it it’s rich colour a very important ingredient is added, which is called Ratan Jyot. It’s added with ghee and then added to the mutton for that bright vibrant red colour. Sometimes a flower called Mawal is also used traditionally. Rogan Josh is an important recipe of Kashmiri Wazwan cuisine. and this dish is served without fail. always prime cuts of mutton are used.
So Today, I’m using Chaap (rib chops), Raankot (leg), I’m also adding some Nalli (bone marrow), coz, so that whatever little gravy that is formed, it doesn’t have plenty of gravy amd its quite thick, but the bone marrow gives it a lot of meatiness and a lot of flavour. So, I’ve told you these basic things about Rogan Josh.
How To make Mutton Rogan Josh.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour 15-30 minutes Serves: 4-5 people
Ingredients of Mutton Rogan Josh
- MUSTARD OIL 1/3 CUP
- WHOLE SPICES BAY LEAF 2 NOS.
- CINNAMON 2 INCH
- GREEN CARDAMOM 5 NOS.
- BLACK CARDAMOM 2 NOS. (CRUSHED)
- CLOVES 4 NOS.
- JAVITRI 1 NO.
- A SMALL PIECE MUTTON 1 KG
- CURD 3/4 CUP
- POWDERED SPICES
- FENNEL SEED POWDER 2 TSP
- ASAFOETIDA 1 TSP
- GINGER POWDER 1 TBSP
- SAFFRON A FEW STRANDS (OPTIONAL)
- KASHMIRI RED CHILLI POWDER 3 TBSP
- SPICY RED 1 TSP (OPTIONAL)
- CUMIN POWDER 1 TSP
- GARAM MASALA 1/4 TSP
- SALT TO TASTE
- HOT WATER AS REQUIRED
- RATAN JOT 1 PIECES
- GHEE 3 TBSP
It’s a very simple recipe. Let’s learn how to make Mutton Rogan Josh.
Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe
1. So I have taken a cooking pot and I’m adding 1/3rd cup mustard oil in a cooking pot. Let the oil smoke on high flame so that the pungency of the oil goes away. So, heat the oil until you see it smoking. I’ve taken oil in more quantity as we have to nicely sear the mutton in the oil.
2. Once the oil starts smoking, turn the flame off. Since the oil is too hot, adding spices right now will burn them, so let the oil cool down a little bit. Once the oil has cooled down, turn the gas on again.
3. Now, we have to add whole spices in it. Now we will Add 2 bay leaves, 2 inches of cinnamon, 5 green cardamom, crush 2 black cardamom & add,4 cloves, 1 blade of mace, and Add a small piece of nutmeg, and I’m adding 1 kg of mutton to this. Keep the flame high after adding the mutton. Sear the mutton nicely on high flame for 7-8 minutes. The mutton should start browning a little bit. And keep cooking it on a high flame.
4. So I’ve seared the mutton nicely for 7-8 minutes and it’s colour has changed. At this stage, take 3/4th cup curd in a bowl, and add 2 tsp fennel powder, 1 tsp asafoetida, 1 tbsp dried ginger powder, and add a few strands of saffron, this is optional. 3 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder. This is very important.
5. 1 tsp spicy red chilli powder for the heat, this is optional. 1 tsp cumin powder, and 1/4th tsp garam masala. And Whisk everything well. Instead of Kashmiri red chilli powder, you can even soak and make a paste of whole dried Kashmiri red chillies and add. That can also be done. I’ve used powder here.
6. Once you have mixed the curd well, then add it to the mutton. and add salt to taste. Now, continue to cook the mutton on a high flame itself. So that the curd gets cooked well, before the mutton starts releasing it’s juices.
7. On a high flame nicely cook the curd. It can take 5-6 minutes. Once cooked properly, you will see that the water will have evaporated, and the colour will slightly change & deepen further.
8. You will see after 5-6 minutes, the curd is cooked and the oil has released. At this stage, add hot water to it. To know the amount of hot water to be added, it’s level should be just a little under the level of the mutton. Don’t add too much water.
9. This Rogan Josh doesn’t have too much gravy. Keep this in mind. After adding the water, stir nicely. After stirring, cover it with a lid. Now Make the flame low and it will take about 1 hour to let the mutton cook till it falls off the bone. So, we’ve let the mutton to cook.
10. The time to cook also depends on the quality of the mutton. Usually after this process, it can take from 45 minutes to 1 hour if the quality of mutton is good. otherwise it can take a little longer too. So, in between lift the lid, stir it lightly. Stir it and see if more water is needed or not.
11. If you feel that it’s dry or sticking to the bottom, then add some hot water to it. Always add hot water, don’t add cold water. otherwise the cooking process of the mutton will stop. So, add hot water, stir, cover it with lid again, and cook it until your mutton is meltingly soft,
12. Once your mutton is cooked, let’s learn what is the process after that. It’s been about an hour and our mutton is cooked.
13. So, you will see that the colour of mutton is amazing. Even our gravy is nice & thick. This is how it’s consistency should be. and let’s check the mutton. You will see that your mutton is nice & soft. Rogan Josh is almost ready. At this stage taste for seasoning and adjust it as per your taste. Now, the last process is remaining, which is very important.
How To Use Ratan Jot
14. You will take Ratan Jot. This is what makes the red colour bright & vibrant. Take this Ratan Jot, it can be easily sourced from your market.
15. Now Take a pan, and add 3-4 tbsp of ghee in the pan. After adding the ghee, break and add 1 stick of Ratan Jot. Now, for 2-3 or 3-4 minutes, on a low flame you have to let the colour of Ratan Jot leech out in the ghee. which means that your ghee will turn dark red in colour and the colour will seep out from Ratan Jot into the ghee. After 3-4 minutes, you have to take a sieve and pour and strain this ghee through the sieve. and add it to the mutton.
16. You will see how red this ghee looks, now Stir it nicely & you will see that the appearance of your Rogan Josh will completely change. Once stirred nicely, you will see that our Rogan Josh is ready.
Now Let’s plate it and serve
So, I’ve told to you how to make Rogan Josh Kashmiri Pandit style today. and it’s a very simple recipe. You learn, there is not much effort in it. It is a one pot recipe and can be made quickly. and it has a simple yet very beautiful flavour. and it tastes really good when paired with rice.
So Definitely try this recipe and tell me in the comments how did you like this recipe. And Share this recipe with your friends & family. And Hit the subscribe button if you’ve liked this rogan Josh recipe . Have an amazing time with this beautiful lamb Rogan Josh recipe at your home. Cheers!